Traveling in May
Beach vacations in May
With the arrival of summer, May is the perfect time for a trip away to the beach. Why not set off on a trip to one of our top three beach destinations for May.
- Fiji is all-round the perfect beach destination, with white sandy beaches, blue waters, incredible wildlife and laid back atmosphere. Stay in a classic hut on stilts, where you can go from bed to water in seconds.
- Panama’s long coastlines and small islands mean that you’ll have plenty of choice for your beach vacation in May. Enjoy national parks, local culture and the animals that live here and see why this country is known as ‘The Biological Bridge’.
- For an adventure and sport beach vacation in May, head to Martinique and enjoy activities such as sailing, hiking or swimming in this tropical paradise. Take a walk along the beach before enjoying a delicious picnic in a stunning spot.
City trips in May
A May city trip can be a great way to experience the culture of your chosen destinations. Explore the culture, food, art, architecture and meet the diverse range of people who live in some of the most fascinating and beautiful cities around the world.
- For an experience of culture in a city unlike any other, visit Jerusalem and roam the incredible streets and buildings that can be found around every corner. Stay with a local family to discover all of the local secrets.
- The beauty of St Petersburg in Russia is world-renowned and for good reason. Visit the beautiful cathedrals and palaces here and enjoy one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
- Discover the cool atmosphere of Melbourne as you spend time in sleek bars, incredible restaurants and the picturesque streets or parks of this unique city. The weather here in May is ideal for a city break and you’ll be able to enjoy the sun without feeling overwhelmed by the heat of the Australian summer.
Best wildlife destinations in May
Whether you’re an animal lover, a nature enthusiast or a family with children; a wildlife tour will be unforgettable no matter where you choose to go. Here are our top 3 for wildlife destinations in May.
- Perhaps the most famous Safari destination, Kenya is the perfect choice for a wildlife tour in May. Go on safari and see all of Africa’s most famous animals, including The Big Five, before relaxing in an eco-lodge or a traditional camp.
- Visit Mexico for an incredible bird-watching experience of a lifetime. You’ll also be able to see whales and porpoises off the beautiful coasts. Take a boat trip and enjoy a sighting of these majestic creatures in their natural habitat.
- Visit Mongolia for an up close and personal encounter with the wild-horses and horse trainers who live here and still use traditional techniques that have been practiced for hundreds of years. Learn about how the nomadic horse trainers live and learn a few tricks of your own as you get to know the horses.
Best festivals in May
A festival is the perfect excuse to get away this May and the world is your oyster. Here are our top choices for festivals around the world in May.
- Cinco de Mayo, celebrated all over Mexico and the USA is a huge celebration in May. It was originally celebrated as a commemoration of a Mexican victory over the French army in the 19th century, however, in the USA, it is now a celebration of the Mexican-American culture.
- The Stars of the White Nights festival takes place in St Petersburg, Russia and is a celebration of classical arts such as ballet, opera and orchestral performances. Visit Russia in May and get a taste of some of Russia’s greatest artistic and cultural exports.
- Visit France in May to enjoy the spectacle of The Cannes Film Festival. Enjoy some old school glamor in the South of France as you get to see this city come to life whilst enjoying the thrill that this festival brings to Cannes each year.
Family vacations in May
May is the perfect time to get away as a family and you’ll be able to spend some incredible time together on a trip to one of our top choices for family getaways for May.
- A visit to Vietnam is sure to be unforgettable for the whole family. No matter what age, children will love discovering the national parks, taking traditional boat rides and meeting local animals, such as the water buffalo here. Take a cooking class as a family and learn to cook traditional Vietnamese food which you’ll be able to recreate, even once your Vietnamese adventure is over.
- Take your family to see some of Africa’s most famous animals, including The Big Five, on a visit to Namibia. This stunning destination includes beautiful scenery, impressive animals and the opportunity to get an insight into the life of the local people here. Learn about the bushmen that live traditionally here, just as they have for hundreds of years.
- A trip to China is a great way to experience an incredible culture together as a family. No matter what age, everyone is sure to love their time here, with so much to see and do. Visit the stunning countryside for a more active trip, or spend a day at any of the incredible historical attractions, such as the Great Wall of China.
Honeymoon ideas in May
A May honeymoon is a chance to enjoy an incredibly romantic destination and escape to exotic shores to enjoy some time together in the sun and relax on your first trip as a married couple.
- Visit the island of Bali, which has everything you could possibly want from a traditional honeymoon. Relax on the beach, explore volcanoes and rain forests, swim through vibrant reefs or caves or try delicious food as you enjoy the beginning of your lives as a married couple.
- For a classic honeymoon, visit Sri Lanka, whose breathtaking beaches and coves will be the perfect place to enjoy one another’s company before relaxing in a spa or luxury hotel. Explore Sri Lankan towns and cities while you’re here and see the bustle that this destination is so well known for. Try incredible authentic Sri Lankan food or even luxury cuisine.
- Enjoy a getaway to the beautiful destination of Norway, where you can explore the fjords, the lakes and feel at one with the incredible Norwegian nature. Make the most of the stunning greenery by staying in a countryside lodge where you can enjoy your time together as a married couple.